Bank statements and reference payments view is used to search, check and handle bank statements and reference payments that have been received to Procountor. Bank statements and reference payments are separate items that are sent to Procountor by the bank. Bank connection authorization is used for agreeing on the delivery of the bank statements and reference payments.
This article includes the following sections: First, the essential things in order to be able to receive bank statements and reference payments are presented. After this, functions of the Bank statements and reference payments view are presented. Finally, the article discusses the most common questions related to Bank statements and reference payments view.
The view is accessed by choosing Payments > Bank statements and reference payments.
Requirements for the bank statements and reference payments to arrive to Procountor
In order for the bank statements and reference payments to arrive to Procountor, the company has to fill in the bank connection authorization that is used to determine the conditions between the customer and the bank of the bank account that is going to be added to Procountor. Therefore, the bank connection authorization is a requirement for the ability to receive bank statements and reference payments to Procountor. When the bank connection authorization has been sent to the bank and the bank has received it, it usually takes some time for the bank to handle the bank connection authorization – this is why the payment functions of the account and arrival of the bank statements and reference payments are activated only after the bank has had the time to handle the bank connection authorization. There are bank-specific differences in the handling times, so questions about the handling situation and schedule should be presented directly to the bank in question.
After the bank connection authorization has been delivered to the bank, the bank account information has to be filled in to Procountor's Bank account information view (Management > Company info > Bank account information). The bank account information has to be entered to Procountor with the exact same information and determinations that are agreed on the bank connection authorization. No other determinations than filling in the bank account information to the Bank account information view have to be made in Procountor.
If a daily bank statement is in use, Procountor retrieves automatically the previous banking day’s bank statements (that contain e.g. purchase invoice payments, salary payments, travel and expense invoice payments, bank card payments and sales invoices without reference numbers) and reference payments (that contain sales invoices with reference numbers) in the morning of each business day. If a weekly or monthly bank statement is used instead, this kind of bank statement is retrieved to Procountor on the first possible banking day after the week or month in question has passed. It should be noted that empty bank statements are not read in Procountor. This is arises directly from the fact that banks do not create these kinds of empty bank statements, so no bank statements to read in Procountor exist.
- More detailed information about the reasons why bank statements and reference payments have not arrived to Procountor can be found from here.
Buttons and fields in the view
The upper section
Search button searches the bank statements and/or reference payments corresponding to the search criteria.
Clear button clears the given search criteria.
Printable ZIP package button is used to download a package containing separate bank statements and reference payments in PDF format. It is also possible to download a package that includes the possible attachments from the accounting pages of the bank statements.
Previous bank statement and Next bank statement buttons are used to change the bank statements and reference payments shown in the view.
Starting and Ending field: these fields are used to define the search period.
Account number field: this drop-down menu chooses the account for which the bank statements and reference payments are searched. It is also possible to choose all bank accounts of the Procountor environment.
Latest bank statement selection retrieves the newest bank statement for the chosen account.
Sum search criterion is used to search transactions based on their sum. This search criterion is useful, for example, when a payment has not been allocated to an invoice, and the payment in question searched from the bank statements with the sum.
- When using the Sum field, a minus sign must be entered in front of the sum with the search for withdrawals.
- However, a plus sign doesn’t have to be used when searching for deposits.
Entry description field is used to search transaction with entry description.
- Entry description search criterion is useful, for example, when reconciling accounts receivable. When “710 deposit” is chosen, Procountor searches for all bank statements with payments that do not have a payment reference.
Name search criterion is used to search transactions with the name of the payee / payer.
- It is possible to use just parts of the searched text in the Name field.
Bank statement no. is used to search bank statements with the bank statement number.
- The bank statement numbers are formed by the banks, so there may be bank-specific differences in the numbering.
Reference search criterion is used to search transactions with the reference number (that is used in a sales invoice payment).
Message search criterion is used to search transactions by the message entered in the message field.
- It is possible to use just parts of the searched text in the Message field.
Group reference payments selection is used to set reference payments to groups.
Bank statements selection is used to determine if bank statements are included in the search results or not.
Ref. payments selection is used to determine if reference payments are included in the search results or not.
Preview button displays the selected bank statement in HTML or PDF format. By clicking a search result row with the right mouse button, the results can be opened also in Excel. A list of reference payments can be opened either through the right mouse button menu or by generating the Reference payment report found under Payment reports (Reports > Payment reports > Reference payment report).
Receipt button creates a printable receipt for the selected transaction row. You can choose either HTML or PDF as the format.
Accounting button opens the Accounting view of the active Bank statement or Reference payment row.
Invoice button opens the Invoice view if the payment involves an invoice.
Edit reference payment button is used to go to a separate view that is used to edit reference payments (allocating reference payments, removing allocations and marking invoices as allocated elsewhere). More information about this function can be found here.
Update accounting button updates the accounting page of the bank statement and referent payments according to current accounting defaults. This button is useful if a user creates a new default posting to bank statements and reference payments and want’s to update the new default to the existing bank statement.
- By clicking Update accounting button, Procountor opens a window where the bank statement transactions are that will be updated.
- All the bank statement transactions will be updated that are allocated in the opening window. It should be noted that those hand made postings that were made to these transactions will be overwritten and the posting defaults that are currently in Procountor will replace them.
- It is recommended that the update is done for only one bank statement and for the newest one which does not have any hand made postings done yet.
- Correction entry will be marked if corrections have been made to the existing accounting page.
- Sum column tells the sum of the bank statement.
Go to bank transfer button is used to go to a separate view that includes bank transfer details.
Remove grouping when sorting button removes the bank statement categorization in the search results if the columns are sorted by columns (for example by sum).
Where can I find the reference payments?
Reference payments can be found from the Bank statements and reference payments view by using search criteria Reference payments.
Why sales invoice is still not paid even though the payment can be seen in bank statement?
Bank statements and reference payment are fetched from different bank material. If a company did not agree that the bank will send the reference payment material to Procountor, sales invoices cannot be allocated as paid. Also, the receivable transactions can be seen as a sum of all receivables, not in separate rows. This is why it is highly important that a company and bank agrees with all the services in the bank connection authorization.
- When both bank statement and reference payment material are fetched to Procountor, the receivables can bee seen row by row and it is possible to allocate the payments to the right sales invoices.
- If the reference payments are not in separate rows agree with the bank that the reference payments should be delivered separately.
Reference payments can be seen as separate rows but the invoice is still not allocated as paid
In a situation which reference payment has not been allocated to the right sales invoice the user can use correct reference field to correct the allocation.
- If the reference number is not correct use the Correct reference function
- If the reference number field is filled but the invoice is still not allocated as paid check if the payment is done by using reference payment function.
- Search the bank statement with only the reference payments and see of the payment is still on the list. If it is not in the list the payment has not come as a reference payment and this is the reason it cannot be allocated to the right invoice.
- If the reference has not been used in the transaction the payment can bee found from the list of bank statements. The allocation should be done by using bank statement allocation.
What are the currency rate differences on purchase invoices?
A currency rate difference entry will be automatically set up on the accounting page of the bank statement if a currency-denominated payment is allocated to an open purchase invoice in a way that the invoice is entirely paid. The purchase invoice will be automatically set to the Paid status. The currency rate difference will be set up as a separate accounting entry row on the bank statement below the payment allocated to the purchase invoice. The entry description indicates to which purchase invoice the currency rate difference entry is allocated.
The posting rule for the automated currency rate difference treatment may be set in the Receipt types posting defaults view at Currency differences for outgoing payments.
How to add attachments to bank statements?
It is possible to add attachments and receipts that are transferred via Receipts application to bank statements by activation the bank transaction row and clicking icon on the upper right corner.
- Attachments are either dragged to the attachment window or selected through Add file
- Attachments that have been added to the bank statements can be seen in the accounting page. Attachments that are added in the accounting page cannot be seen in the bank statement and reference payment view.
Why the bank statement PDF printout does not have the same transactions as the search results?
Bank statements and reference payments are shown in Procountor the same way as the bank delivers the information. If the bank delivers the Bank statements and reference payments once a day, once a month or once in two weeks the Bank statements and reference payments can be seen in Procountor in these sequences. Also the PDF printout will be according to these sequences.
I would like to end the usage of a bank account in Procountor
There are two options in ending the usage of a bank account in Procountor:
1. Account number can be passivated after which the account cannot be used in payment transactions but the bank statements and reference payments can be seen in Procountor.
2. Account number can be deleted from the Bank account information view which will disable the search of bank statements in Bank statements and reference payments view.
- Bank account accounting transaction can be seen in the Accounting reports.
Before the account number is deleted it is recommended to take out the old Bank statements and reference payments by clicking ZIP-package in Bank statements and reference payments view.
Deleting the bank account number will disable the bank transactions from Procountor and they cannot be made. Check that there are no invoices in Payment queued status in Procountor.
- Invoices that are in status Payment moved to bank will not be allocated as paid after the bank account number has been deleted, because the bank statement that allocates the invoices will not come to Procountor.
Bank account number can be deleted in Management > Company info > Bank account information.