Bank statements and reference payments view is used to search, check and handle bank statements and reference payments that have been received to Procountor.
The view is accessed by choosing Payments > Bank statements and reference payments.
Procountor retrieves automatically the previous banking day’s bank statements and reference payments in the morning of each business day. Retrieving bank statements and reference payments are always agreed and decided on the Bank connection authorizations. For example, if the agreement includes weekly or monthly bank statements, the bank statements are received to Procountor according to the agreement. The balance of the bank statement will remain unchanged until the next bank statement with transactions arrives. Procountor does not retrieve empty bank statements that do not have transactions.
- Read more about the reasons, why bank statements and reference payments have not arrived from here.
Bank statements and reference payment are fetched from different bank material. If a company did not agree that the bank will send the reference payment material to Procountor, sales invoices cannot be allocated as paid. Also, the receivable transactions can be seen as a sum of all receivables, not in separate rows. This is why it is highly important that a company and bank agrees with all the services in the bank connection authorization.
- When both bank statement and reference payment material are fetched to Procountor, the receivables can bee seen row by row and it is possible to allocate the payments to the right sales invoices.
- In a situation which reference payment has not been allocated to the right sales invoice the user can use correct reference field to correct the allocation.
- If the reference has not been used in the transaction the payment can bee found from the list of bank statements. The allocation should be done by using bank statement allocation.
Buttons and fields in the view
The upper section
Search button searches the bank statements and/or reference payments corresponding to the search criteria.
Clear button clears the given search criteria.
Printable ZIP package button is used to download a package containing separate bank statements and reference payments in PDF format. It is also possible to download a package that includes the possible attachments from the accounting pages of the bank statements.
Previous bank statement and Next bank statement buttons are used to change the bank statements and reference payments shown in the view.
Account number field: this drop-down menu chooses the account for which the bank statements and reference payments are searched. It is also possible to choose all accounts.
Starting and Ending field: these fields are used to define the search period.
Latest bank statement selection retrieves the newest bank statement for the chosen account.
Group reference payments selection is used to set reference payments to groups.
Bank statements selection is used to determine if bank statements are included in the search results or not.
Ref. payments selection is used to determine if reference payments are included in the search results or not.
Clicking the Show detailed search text opens more fields to be used in the search: Sum, Entry description, Name, Bank statement no., Reference and Message.
- When using the Sum field in the detailed search, a minus sign must be entered in front of the sum with the search for withdrawals. However, a plus sign doesn’t have to be used when searching for deposits.
- Entry description field is useful for example when reconciling accounts receivable. When “710 deposit” is chosen, the program searches for all bank statements with payments that do not have a payment reference.
- It is possible to use just parts of the searched text in the fields of Name and Entry description.
Preview button displays the selected bank statement in HTML or PDF format. By clicking a search result row with the right mouse button, the results can be opened also in Excel. A list of reference payments can be opened either through the right mouse button menu or by generating the Reference payment report found under Payment reports (Reports > Payment reports > Reference payment report).
Receipt button creates a printable receipt for the selected transaction row. You can choose either HTML or PDF as the format.
Accounting button opens the Accounting view of the Bank statement or Reference payment.
Invoice button opens the Invoice view if the payment involves an invoice.
Edit reference payment button is used to go to a separate view that is used to edit reference payments (delete allocation and allocate reference payments etc). More information about this function here.
Update accounting button updates the accounting page of the bank statement and referent payments according to current accounting defaults. This button is useful if a user creates a new default posting to bank statements and reference payments and want’s to update the new default to the existing bank statement.
- By clicking Update accounting button, Procountor opens a window where the bank statement transactions are that will be updated.
- All the bank statement transactions will be updated that are allocated in the opening window. It should be noted that those hand made postings that were made to these transactions will be overwritten and the posting defaults that are currently in Procountor will replace them.
- It is recommended that the update is done for only one bank statement and for the newest one which does not have any hand made postings done yet.
- Correction entry will be marked if corrections have been made to the existing accounting page.
- Sum column tells the sum of the bank statement.
Go to bank transfer button is used to go to a separate view that includes bank transfer details.
Processing currency rate differences on purchase invoices
A currency rate difference entry will be automatically set up on the accounting page of the bank statement if a currency-denominated payment is allocated to an open purchase invoice in a way that the invoice is entirely paid. The purchase invoice will be automatically set to the Paid status. The currency rate difference will be set up as a separate accounting entry row on the bank statement below the payment allocated to the purchase invoice. The entry description indicates to which purchase invoice the currency rate difference entry is allocated.
The posting rule for the automated currency rate difference treatment may be set in the Receipt types posting defaults view at Currency differences for outgoing payments.
Adding attachments to bank statements
It is possible to add attachments and receipts that are transferred via Receipts application to bank statements by activation the bank transaction row and clicking icon on the upper right corner.
- Attachments are either dragged to the attachment window or selected through Add file
- Attachments that have been added to the bank statements can be seen in the accounting page. Attachments that are added in the accounting page cannot be seen in the bank statement and reference payment view.