The beginning of accounting refers to the point in time when Procountor is taken into use for accounting duties. When accounting begins in Procountor, the open sales and purchase ledgers are brought to Procountor. Find out more about other phases of the beginning of accounting here.
Open sales and purchase ledgers can be saved to the program in two ways: either by invoices or as balances. It is recommended to bring invoices to Procountor by invoices: this way the ledgers do not have to be managed in two systems simultaneously.
When you want to import the ledgers by open invoices to Procountor:
- Save all invoices that are open at the time of Procountor adoption to the program. This can be done with invoice data import file (Management > Import data).
- Save sales invoices with their original reference numbers – this way reference payments to Procountor are allocated automatically to the right invoices.
- If there are invoices that are already paid among the imported invoices, set them to the Marked paid Setting this status is done in the Special situations view of a sales invoice by setting the correct payment date to the invoice. Purchase invoices that are already paid are set to Marked paid status in their Payment view.
- Please note that Procountor always creates accounting entries for open invoices:
- Purchase invoices are allocated to account 2880 Payment transaction account
- Sales invoices are allocated to account 1700 Trade debtors, accounts receivable
- If the balances of open invoices are brought to Procountor also as a part of the opening balances, remember to adjust accounts to zero in order to prevent double accounting entries.
When you want to import the ledgers as balances to Procountor:
- Compared to the Procountor defaults, use different accounts with the imported balances (for example, 2870 for accounts payable and 1701 accounts receivable). This makes it easier to distinguish the older balances from the newer ones that are formed day by day to the Procountor default accounts (2880 Payment transaction account and 1700 Trade debtors, accounts receivable) as accounting entries are created.
- Balances are brought to Procountor with a journal receipt that can be created either in Accounting > New journal receipt or in Accounting > Ledger entry tool (new). Importing balances can also be done with the help of accounting data import file.