The company's environment is set up and the desired connections are set at Procountor implementation. The user and accounting information is also reviewed. Finally, the product and partner registers and tax information are completed.
Click on a box in the chart for direct access to the relevant instructions.
Signing a Procountor agreement
- Click on the link you received via e-mail. It takes you to the electronic signature service. Register at the signature service using your bank's online service identifiers. The electronic signature service automatically verifies the signature rights from the Finnish Patent and Registration Office.
- Approve the terms and conditions of the user agreement and click on the Register button.
- Preview the document files by clicking on the link with the name of the file. Do not save the files on your own workstation yet. Finally, click on the Sign the document button.
- Save the document files on your own computer by clicking on the Upload documents as ZIP files
More detailed instructions are available here (Please note, the insturctions are in Finnish).
When you login in to Procountor as the main user for the first time, the guided setup task list is displayed. By clicking on the appropriate checklist headings you can directly access the Procountor view, which you, as the main user, should review and/or fill out. Each checklist topic contains a direct link to the relevant page in the manual. You can also access additional instructions in the instruction panel on the left-hand instruction panel in Procountor.
Once you have filled in the required information in the Procountor guided setup item, a green checkmark in the front of the item name will indicate that the implementation item in question has been completed. The progress bar of the environment's basic settings is filled.
Clicking on the dash button in the task list header minimizes the list to the top of the screen to keep the list out of the way when you fill out the views.
You can close the bottom of the guided setup task list by clicking on the Skip guided setup button. If you want to open a guided setup list that was already closed, you can do so using the Open guided setup button in the left-side panel in Procountor.
Filling in company's basic information
Edit basic company info in Management > Company info > Basic info.
The address information and invoicing contact person information saved in Basic info are shown at the bottom of the sales invoices.
- More details of the Basic info view fields is available here.
Bank account information
Enter the account information in Management > Company info > Bank account information:
- You must save your bank- and account number before delivering the bank connection authorization to your bank. You cannot create sales invoices before you have saved a bank account.
- You can use the Default invoice account option to select a single account that will be used for your company’s sales invoices by default.
- Note! If you want to rename an account such as 1910 Cash in bank in the format Nordea 111123-123, make the change to the chart of accounts in Management > Accounting info > Chart of accounts before adding the bank account to Procountor.
- The availability of payment methods depends on the services you have agreed on with your bank. Choose the same services in Procountor that you specified in the bank connection authorization you sent to your bank.
Electronic invoice addresses
- In order to send and receive electronic invoices, you must order OpusCapita’s electronic invoice addresses from Procountor (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will save your address in Procountor upon receiving it from OpusCapita (in approximately two weeks). At the same time, OpusCapita moves the company info to TIEKE's electronic invoice address: TIEKE. The information is visible in the electronic invoice address book within approximately two days of the transfer.
Sending the bank connection authorization to your bank
Deliver the bank connection authorization to your bank in order to open the payment transactions service.
- Each bank uses its own bank connection authorization form. You must deliver a separate authorization for each bank account. You can print out your bank’s authorization form on this page of the Procountor manual.
- We recommend using daily bank statements, since this enables the program to provide you with up-to-date reports on open invoices, for example.
- It is a good idea to select all the functions on the bank connection authorization form and enable the bank’s electronic invoice address.
Test your connection in a few days to see whether the bank has connected your account to Procountor.
You will see your most recent bank statement in Payment transactions > Bank statements and reference payments > Search bank statement if the bank has processed your bank connection authorization. Bank statements are only generated if there are transactions in the account during the bank statement period.
- With the Default payment account option, you can specify a bank account as the primary option provided for debiting in the payment account selection drop-down menu. Define the account as a payment account in Management > Company info > Bank account information by checking Batch transfer and/or SEPA boxes and entering the Banking code. The banking code is indicated in the agreement signed with your bank. It is usually your company’s business ID in 9-digit form, including the leading zeros but excluding the check digit hyphen. The leading zeros of the business ID are not omitted from the banking code unless the ID is more than 9 digits long. The maximum banking code length is 10 digits. Note! Procountor omits the leading zeros at saving, but they will be included in the payment data.
- Test the payment transactions with one invoice/payment. The payment will be successful if you have entered the banking code correctly and the banking connection to your bank is open. When you receive your next bank statement, the invoice status will automatically change to Paid if everything is working properly.
Scanning service for purchase invoices
Purchase invoice scanning services provided by OpusCapita can be connected to Procountor. Paper or email invoices are directed to an invoicing address provided by OpusCapita, where they are preprocessed and digitized. Scanning is deployed by ordering the scanning services from us at the implementation of Procountor or later from email@example.com.
More information on the purchase invoice scanning service is available here.
Defining environment's usage settings
- Review the Usage settings to ensure that they are suitable for your company. The following issues, for example, are addressed in the Usage settings:
- The automatic creation of new customers and suppliers in the customer register
- The automatic generation of customer numbers in the customer register
We recommend adopting the approval circulation. Verifier 1 on the invoice will be notified when Procountor receives e-invoices. Select the verifier from the drop-down menu.
- If you would like Procountor to monitor your collection and penal expenses, enable this function.
Personal information and settings
Enter your personal information (name, telephone number, e-mail address, etc.) under Management > Personal information and settings. Change your password and print out the list of one-time passwords.
- Specify also the previous fiscal year in order to save closing balances on the last day of the previous fiscal year.
- Create fiscal periods in advance for the current fiscal year.
Filling in tax information
Enter your company’s tax account information (Declaration period, tax account reference and tax payment bank account) in Management > Accounting info > Tax information.
Defining VAT defaults
The VAT percentages used by the company and displayed in the program menus, as well as VAT statuses, are defined in the VAT defaults view. The possible VAT rates are 24%, 14% and 10%.
Salary payment information
You can edit various information related to salary payment through Management > Salary info > Salary payment info.
Save your company’s salary periods in Management > Accounting info > Salary info > Salary periods before starting salary calculation. Using salary periods facilitates salary calculation and is mandatory if you want to use holiday rights calculation. You can easily enter salary periods for the whole year by clicking on the Create salary periods for the year button.
Employees' Pension Act agreements
Enter at least the name of your pension insurance company and notification method (month/year) from your Employees’ Pension Act agreement in Management > Accounting info > Salary info > Employees’ Pension Act agreements. You must save the Employees’ Pension Act agreement number before you draw up the first notification.
Setting up users and user privileges
Go to Management > Users and privileges and make sure that you have the necessary privileges.
The main user creates user accounts for the company’s other users and specifies their privileges.
- Think carefully before granting anyone full privileges to your company’s user management. Full privileges allow the person to access Management > Users and privileges to edit his/her own privileges and add or delete other users.
- Check which users have been granted payment transactions privileges.
- When you create a new employee in Procountor, save that person’s e-mail address and social security number, for example, in the system. The e-mail address is used, for example, in approval circulation for purchase invoices, and the social security number is used to define privileges.
- Notify new users that the program will create a list of one-time passwords for them on their first login. For this reason, they must permit Procountor to open pop-up windows in their browser before logging in for the first time.
Follow these instructions on how to enable pop-up windows and change other browser settings.
Setting up a customer register
You can set up a customer register in Sales > Customer register
Save the appropriate information in your company’s employee, customer, supplier and product registers manually, or through the import data function in Management > Import data.
Setting up sales product register
Create products in the product register (sales and purchase). Check the VAT percentages of the products and enter the default postings and default dimensions, if any. Save your business partners and make sure that they have the right default settings.
You can process product register information on the Sales product register page.
Setting up a supplier register
You can access the Supplier register in section Purchases.
Creating and sending supplier notifications
As electronic financial management software, Procountor is equipped with functions to send and receive electronic invoices. Sales invoices can be sent as electronic invoices directly from Procountor by selecting e-invoice as the invoice sending method and entering the recipient's electronic invoice address details on the invoice. Correspondingly, purchase invoices received as electronic invoices arrive in the Procountor environment automatically on a daily basis.
- You can use Procountor’s bank connection authorization to agree on the opening of e-invoice agreements with your bank. Save the electronic invoice address in Management > Company info > E-Invoice and Scanning provider addresses.
- Clicking on the Create supplier notification button opens a pre-filled supplier notification form, which you can edit and send to your suppliers. The supplier notification includes the electronic invoice recipient address, Electronical Data Interchange ID, as well as the scanning provider details. The information is retrieved on the form based on the details provided for the company in the E-Invoice and Scanning provider addresses view.
Tip: You can conveniently mail the letter to the selected suppliers through Procountor’s Group letter function in Registers > Group letter. Note that sending a group letter in Procountor is subject to a charge.
Adding company logo to invoice template
You can add company logos to your invoice templates yourself in Invoice template settings.
Chart of accounts verification
When a company is created in Procountor, a base chart of accounts based on the Finnish Financial Administration Union’s basic account scheme is automatically generated for it. Compare the chart of accounts previously used by your company to that in Procountor. The chart of accounts information can be found in Accounting > Chart of accounts
- If necessary, order a chart of accounts adapted to an association or a real estate company from firstname.lastname@example.org before saving any transactions.
- Add sub-accounts to the chart of accounts in Procountor, if necessary. You cannot change the structure of the chart of accounts. Note! VAT processing does not make use of the chart of accounts.
- With default postings, each receipt (including travel/expense invoice, salary, bank statement) in Procountor is directed to the desired accounting account. Default posting is available under all receipt types. More information on default postings is available through the links below.
In Procountor, the dimensions are cost accounting tracking subjects or cost centres. Associated items can be defined for each dimension. Consider whether to enable cost accounting. Dimensions are created in Management > Accounting info > Dimensions.
Once you have saved the information under Management into the program according to these Main user’s starting instructions and sent the banking authorization to your bank, you can begin accounting and creating invoices. You can begin accounting in Procountor either at the start or in the middle of the fiscal year.
Phases of beginning accounting:
- Comparison of the chart of accounts
- Import of the salary information from the beginning of the year
- Accounting account balances
- Adjusting accounting entries to zero
- Open accounts ledgers
- Saving the comparison data
- Verifying that accounting was begun successfully
Comparison of the chart of accounts
The chart of accounts in Procountor may differ from the one previously used by your company. Compare the charts of accounts and take account of the following:
- You will no longer need separate accounting accounts for each VAT rate.
- Are all accounts you used earlier needed? Could internal tracking be done using product reporting or dimensions (cost accounting monitoring), for example?
- Create the required sub-accounts in the chart of accounts.
- Take note of automatic postings such as
- 1700 Accounts receivable
- 2880 Payment transaction account
- 2930 VAT liability
- 2920 Employer's contribution liability.
- Salaries only have one account for deferred liabilities, 2950, for all insurance liabilities.
Import of salary information from the beginning of the year
If you started using Procountor in September, for example, you should import salary information from the beginning of the year per employee in one summary calculation. This is to ensure that the information is correct in the annual salary report, and the report can be sent from Procountor.
Accounting account balances
- If all balances for the periods preceding the beginning of accounting are zero, go to Save comparison data.
- If all balances found for the periods preceding the beginning of accounting are not zero, adjust the accounting entries to zero.
Adjusting accounting entries to zero
If Procountor has been used for purposes such as creating invoices but not for accounting, the automatic accounting entries generated by the receipts must be adjusted to zero before the beginning of actual accounting. For any consolidated salary slips imported from the beginning of the year, the accounts are also adjusted to zero.
Open accounts ledgers
The sales and purchase ledgers open at the beginning can be saved in the program in two ways: as balances or by invoice.
- Open invoices are entered into the program as balances. In such cases, old trade receivables or trade payables are entered on other accounts than the default accounts used by Procountor (e.g. Old trade receivables).
- Open invoices are entered into Procountor either manually or using the import data function. If using import data, the invoices will be entered into the default accounts.
Saving the comparison data
- Comparison data from the previous fiscal year are saved when you begin using Procountor.
- Save the balances of the day preceding the beginning of accounting. You may also import the monthly accounting account balances.
Verifying that accounting was begun successfully
Once you have imported sales and purchase ledger information to Procountor and saved the account balances, please check that the accounts ledger and accounting match. Use the Reconciliation report for open invoices found under Accounting> Reconciliation tools for this.