The company’s chart of accounts can be viewed and modified in Management > Accounting info > Chart of accounts.
When a new Procountor environment is created, the default chart of accounts that will be automatically generated for the environment is the basic chart of accounts, which is based on the Finnish Financial Administration Union's basic account scheme.
When creating the environment, it’s also possible to choose real estate or union account scheme instead of the basic chart of accounts. The chart of accounts can also be copied from another Procountor environment the user creating the new environment has access to. More information on setting up a new environment can be found here.
It is very important to choose the correct chart of accounts when setting up a new environment since the chosen chart of accounts can't be changed after the environment has been created!
Things to note concerning the account scheme
By default, the chart of accounts is created in Finnish. If the chart of accounts is needed in Swedish or English, please contact Procountor customer service at email@example.com before setting up the environment. Unfortunately, at the moment it is not possible to translate already existing charts of accounts to English and Swedish. Therefore, the reporting needs have to be carried out using report formulas. Alternatively, it is possible to set up a new environment that is created with the English or Swedish chart of accounts in the beginning.
If the structure of accounting reports needs to be different from the structure of chart of accounts (for example, some accounts need to be shown in different account groups on the reports than where they actually are in chart of accounts), these kind of changes need to be implemented using report formulas. More information on creating report formulas can be found here.
If a new environment has been created with a wrong chart of accounts selection, the chosen chart of accounts can't be changed aftewards:
- Because of the upcoming chart of accounts renewal project, we unfortunately no longer can do changes to the chart of accounts in an environment due to technical reasons, if the environment has been set up with a wrong chart of accounts in the first place.
- If the environment has been set up with a wrong chart of accounts selection, a whole new environment has to be created. When creating this environment, the correct chart of accounts is chosen.
- If some actions (such as determining settings, creating registers, making accounting entries) have been made in the environment with the wrong chart of accounts. these actions have to be made again to the new environment with the correct chart of accounts. It is especially important to remove possible bank account information set in the Bank account information view so that the same bank account can later be added to the new environment.
- If the environment with the wrong chart of accounts is already in production usage and OpusCapita's e-invoicing addresses have been activated, it is needed to contact administration in firstname.lastname@example.org. For clarity, the old environment can be named with "TO BE DELETED" in Basic info view. The e-mail to administration has to include the name of the environment to be closed as well as the name of the new environment (that has been created with the right chart of accounts) in which the production usage and OpusCapita's addresses are transferred to.
Printing and viewing chart of accounts
HTML button opens the report in HTML format in a new browser window, from which it can be printed out or saved. Either all accounts or only accounts that have been used (accounts that have entries and/or that have been set as default accounts) can be chosen to be displayed in the HTML export.
Excel button opens the entire chart of accounts in Excel in CSV format.
The chart of accounts can be viewed also through Chart of accounts view using the arrow buttons in front of each account group name. By clicking on the arrow button, you can drill down to lower levels and sub accounts. Once a certain row is activated, the key board’s arrow buttons can be used to move down or upwards in the chart of accounts. Arrow button pointing to the right opens up the account group and arrow button to the left closes it.
Editing chart of accounts
You can add and delete accounts or change their names by clicking on the Edit chart of accounts button. Clicking on the button will open the Edit chart of accounts view.
Adding an account
- Using the arrow buttons in front of account group names, drill down to the account group to which you want to add a sub account.
- Once you have the correct account group activated, click on the Add sub account button found at the top of the view.
- Fill in the account number and name in the New account window that opens and click on Continue. The length of the account number needs to be 4 digits, unless using long account numbers (5 or 6 digits) has been enabled for the company. If long account numbers need to be enabled for the company, please contact Procountor customer service.
- Save changes by clicking on Save. The added sub account is first shown as the last account in the group it’s been added to, but once changes are saved, it will be shown in its correct place (based on the account number). If there are a lot of changes made to the chart of accounts at the same time, it’s recommended to save changes every now and then while editing.
Editing an account
- Using the arrow buttons in front of account group names, drill down to the sub account you want to edit.
- Once you have the correct sub account activated, click on the Edit button found at the top of the view.
- Make the changes in the Edit account window that opens and click on Continue. Please note that changing an account name also affects the existing accounting entries, which means that the new name will be shown also on the previous periods’ reports.
- Save changes by clicking on Save.
When modifying the name of an account that has entries and/or has been set as a default account, Procountor nofities the user about this when clicking on Continue. This notification can be skipped by clicking on OK.
Deleting an account
1. Before deleting the account, make sure that there are no entries in the accout, or that the account has been set as a default account in posting defaults (Management > Accounting info > Posting defaults):
- General account posting defaults
- Default postings for travel/expense invoices
- Default salary postings
- Bank statement posting defaults
- Default postings for reference payments
- Default posting for taxes
- Default receivable and payable accounts (Management > Accounting info > Chart of accounts > Show receivable and payable accounts button)
2. After making sure that the account is not default account and that there are no entries in the account, the account can be deleted.
3. Drill down to the sub account you want to delete by using the arrow buttons in front of account group names
4. Once you have the correct sub account activated, click on the Delete button found at the top of the view.
5. In the verification window that opens (”Attention! Are you sure you want to delete this account?”, choose Yes (or No, if the chosen account isn’t the one that’s supposed to be deleted). Please note, that it’s not possible to delete an account that has entries and/or has been set as a default account (note step 1 in these instructions).
6. Save changes by clicking on Save.
Show balance sheet accounts
- This button shows the accounts that are balance sheet accounts.
- By default, all accounts which start with 1 and 2, are balance sheet accounts.
Show receivable and payable accounts
- It is possible to edit which accounts are taken as receivable and payable accounts in Reconciliation report for open invoices
- As default Procountor will take accounts 1700 for receivables and 2880 for payables.
- The accounts that are shown in Reconciliation accounts view are the accounts that are taken into account as sales and purchase reconciliation reports. If new accounts should be added click Add button and if accounts should be removed click Remove button.
Model templates of default account schemes
By default, the chart of accounts is created in Finnish. If the chart of accounts is needed in Swedish or English, please contact Procountor customer service at email@example.com before setting up the environment.
Default chart for new environments after Procountor version update November 17, 2018
In Procount's version update in November 2018, some new accounts were added to the default chart of accounts. These accounts will appear only in new environments that have been set up after November 17, 2018 and changes have not been made to existing environments in Procountor:
1710 Myyntisaamiset vanha järjestelmä
2952 Palkkojen jaksotus
5330 Palkkojen jaksotus
7270 Autotalli- ja autopaikkavuokrat
7650 Atk-laite ja ohjelm. vuokrat
7720 Kone- ja kalustovuokrat
8451 Puhelin- ja tietoliikennekulut
8452 Vakuutukset ja vahingonkorvaukset
8453 Toimisto- ja hallintokulut
8455 Muut hallintokulut