Procountor contains an easy-to-use salary calculation that covers calculation and payment of salaries, and related notifications. Through the service, you can send salary slips to employees e.g. by email, or they can view their own salaries in Procountor. From salary slips, information is automatically transferred to accounting, period tax returns, notifications to pension insurance companies and annual salary information returns.
Note! A salary list that contains at least one salary slip with the status Paid or marked Paid elsewhere cannot be restored to status Unfinished, for example to delete a single salary slip.
We cannot remove salary slip payment transactions if they have been posted to transactions on the bank statement and there are several of them.
Therefore, you must mark the salary slip to status Paid elsewhere and create a corresponding credit salary slip to zero the effect of the original salary slip.
If you have used an erroneous tax card type and paid excessive withholding tax, please read the instructions here for correcting the withholding tax.
Filling in the Company info
2. Fill in Tax information in section Management > Accounting info. In the person’s salary info, if you want to select Employees’ Pension Act (TyEL) as the pension insurance, you must fill in the Employees’ Pension Act contract information. If the company wants to use holiday right calculation, Salary periods must be activated. Apart from that, the use of salary periods is optional.
Filling in the Employee info
1. Fill in the person’s information in the Person register (Salaries > Person register > Add)
2. In the person information, fill in the last name, first name, address, social security number and bank account number at the minimum.
3. When you have entered the information in the Person register, go to section Salaries > Employee info, select the person from the list and click the Show salary info button.
4. In the Salary info view, fill in the Person’s info, Salary info, Tax information and Pension information at the minimum. The Employment start date is a mandatory entry. The Trade union information and Holiday salary info entries are optional. The Trade union information fields are for information only, they do not affect any functionality of the system. The Holiday salary info is used by the system only, if salary periods are defined to be in use in the taxing and salary payment information.
5. When the salary basic info has been entered, close the view, keep the same person selected and click the Show salary base button.
6. The Salary base view shows the person’s salary base created from the information entered in the previous view. The Salary base in intended as the basis for salary slips. In the Salary base, you should therefore enter only rows that are expected to occur in all or most of the salary slips. This type of rows can be mobile phone allowance, car allowance or trade union fee, for example.
7. When you have finished the information in the salary base, save it and close the salary base view. Then you can start to create the actual salary slip.
Creating a salary slip
1. Select section Salaries > New salary list. If the company has salary periods in use, select the correct salary period from the drop-down list. The system then automatically fills in the rest of the salary list information fields. If salary periods are not in use, fill in the salary list information fields manually.
2. Click the Search persons button. This opens the search person view.
3. You can limit the number of persons shown in the view by using the search conditions in the upper section of the view. Tick the boxes related to the persons whose salaries you want to calculate or use the Select all button. Click the Add to salary slip button to add the selected persons to the New salary list view.
4. When you click the Save button, the system creates salary slips for the persons in the salary list. (If needed, you can pick up additional persons to the list by the Search persons button or remove persons by the Remove person button, before you click the Save button.)
5. With the To person’s statement button you can go to edit a person’s salary slip when needed (if you pay e.g. compensation for overtime or holiday).
Sending and paying a salary slip
Note! You can check if salary slips have been sent through the Salaries/Salary slip search. In the Salary slip search view you can search salary slips. Right-click the desired row in the search results to open the option menu. Select option Invoice event information, which shows you the date and time, when the receipt was sent. If the receipt has not been sent, it appears as --.
1. In section Salaries/Salary list search, the /Show button allows you to approve all salary slips on the selected list. You can send the approved salary slips to employees by clicking the Send button, if the salary channel selected in section Salaries > Employee info >Show salary info is Mail or Email. Salary slips are not sent to persons whose salary channel in the Employee info is No sending. The sender information when using salary channel Email is the email address defined in the Company basic info in field Calculation of salaries contact person’s email. If the field Calculation of salaries contact person’s email in the company basic info is empty, the email address defined in the salary slip creator’s Personal info and settings is used.
2. After sending, you can proceed directly to payment of salaries using the Payment button, or you can move to the section Payment transactions > Search for receipts waiting for payment and pay the salaries either in the Salary payments view or in the normal payments view.
You can also pay a salary to a foreign bank account.
The email address shown when the company sends salary slips to persons is defined in location Management > Company info > Basic info > Contact persons / Calculation of salaries contact person’s email.
Invalidation of salary list
A salary list can be invalidated when needed. If the salary list has already been approved, you must first restore it to status Unfinished. This is done in the Salary list view by clicking the button Restore to unfinished state .
The system asks you to verify whether you want to return all the listed salary slips to Unfinished state. You can reply either Yes or Cancel.
Invalidation of the total salary list is performed in menu Salaries/Salary list search using the Invalidate button, when the salary list is in status Unfinished. An approved or invalidated salary list cannot be invalidated.
You can also invalidate individual salary slips in the salary list. When the last salary slip in the salary list is invalidated, the whole salary list is set to Invalidated state.
Creating, sending and payment of period tax return
1. Go to Notifications > Tax account > Tax Return for Self Assesed Taxes and create the month’s period tax return of employer’s contributions (Salaries in status Unfinished and Approved are not included in the tax return). When you have checked the information and saved the period tax return, you can can approve it by clicking the Approve button. The system creates accounting for the approved return, and you can pay it and send it to the tax authority using the Katso credentials. In the accounting view, you can add an attachment to an approved salary slip only. You cannot add an attachment to an unfinished salary slip, because it does not have any accounting yet. You cannot add an attachment to a paid salary slip either.
2. Send the return using the Send button. The button is active only in approved returns that have not been invalidated or sent. You can send the return from Procountor directly to the tax authority’s service using the Katso credentials. Therefore, the user must have personal Katso credentials and authorisation for sending the company’s return.
3. Pay the return using the Payment button. The button is only active if the return is in the valid status for payment and the sum to pay is greater than zero. See further information on payment .
Read also about adding a new user
Dates on the salary slip in relation to tax returns
The important dates on the salary slip are the salary payment date and the pay day. The payment date is the actual payment date, when the payment is debited from the company’s bank account. The pay day is the date when the salary arrives in the employee’s bank account. The salaries are selected for creation of the employer’s contributions, Employee’s Pension Act notices and annual information returns on the basis of the actual pay day. The employer’s contribution information in the period tax return of
August 2013 is collected from salary slips on the basis of the due date. This was changed starting from 1 September 2013 so that employer’s contribution information was collected to the period tax return on the basis of the payment date, but starting from 19 December the information is collected on the basis of the pay day. In the salary slip preview, i.e. in the salary slip sent to the employee, the pay day field contains the payment date (i.e. the day when the salary is debited from the company’s bank account), if the salary slip has been created between 19-31 December 2013, and the pay day (i.e. the day when the salary arrives in the beneficiary’s bank account), if the salary slip has been created on 1 January 2014 or later.
Language support in Salaries
All information is displayed in the salary calculation person’s own language defined in the Management/Personal info and settings view, except:
- Salary types, which are displayed in the employee’s own language
- In the Salary type search view, salary types are displayed both in the salary calculation person’s and the employee’s language
The following items are shown in printouts and previews to the employee in the languages selected in the Person register:
- Salary slip
- Pay check
- Employee's annual salary summary
In the accounting entry description the name of the salary type is shown in the company’s language. The company’s language is defined in Management/Company info/Basic info.
When switching to Swedish or English in the salary slips, you must first change the language selected in the drop-down list in Person register Invoicing information section’s Language field. In the salary base, you must repeat the procedure of retrieving and saving the customer-specific salary types to the salary base.